A LADY BY THE SEA

A LADY BY THE SEA

Monday 17 May 2010

One of the most exciting and sometimes scary ferry rides is the Manly to Circular Quay, Sydney commuter runs. The ferry has to pass by North and South Heads at the entrance to Sydney Harbour. Below is a video filmed on a wet and stormy day on run past the Heads in 2007.
The Manly ferry looks like it is surfing the waves.

Years ago when I was a teenager my parents took my sisters and I by train journey to Cairns to visit my fathers family. My aunt and uncle thought a ferry trip out to Green Island would be a nice day trip, it was until it was time to return back to the mainland. A storm came up as we were heading back to the wharf. Auntie was getting worried when my sisters and I went out on deck but my mother assured her we were ok as living in a harbour city we were quite use to riding ferries and especially the Manly ferry.

3 comments:

val said...

Surely there can't be any open decks on that one - you'd end up being washed overbaord!

Frances said...

If you don't want to get wet you stay inside but the best place to travel is out in the open. Most people have enough sense in rough weather to at least hang on. lol.

I would say 'nowadays' areas would be 'roped off' in inclement weather.

val said...

I've been on a cross-channel ferry in a force 7 gale, and they battened down the hatches. But they missed one, and I used it a LOT to get fresh air so that I wouldn't be sick (I was in charge of 30 schoolkids).

One girl fell off the bench she'd laid down on as we docked and had to go to hospital for a check-up. What a fun day that was.